Professional Pet Nanny, Inc.
“We Come To Play While You’re Away!”
Call us TODAY! 513-244-7373

tulip flower garden

Spring Flowers That Can Be Deadly To Your Pets

Make your yard and garden safe for your pets by steering clear of these 5 common spring plants.

1. Tulips and Hyacinths 

The bulbs of these two plants are toxic, not the leaves or flowers. Symptoms of poisoning can include:

  • Mouth and esophagus irritation.
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increase in heart rate.
  • Changes in breathing.

2. Daffodils

The bulb, the  plant, and the flower of this plant contains lycorine. Lycorine can irritate the the tissues of the mouth and throat and causes excessive drooling. 

Lycorine can also trigger a gastrointestinal response like vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal pain. In more serious cases, heart and respiratory problems can occur.  In these severe cases see your veterinarian immediately.

3. Lilies

Some lilies are relatively harmless. Non-toxic varieties include: Calla, Peace and Peruvian. If your pet samples one of these plants, his upper digestive tract may become irritated and he may drool.

Types of poisonous lilies include:

  • Tiger lily
  • Asiatic lily
  • Stargazer lily
  • Casablanca lily
  • Rubrum lily
  • Day lily
  • Japanese Show lily
  • Easter lily

These toxic lilies can be deadly to your cat. If even a tiny amount is ingested, including the pollen, kidney failure can result.

If you suspect your cat has ingested any part of a lily, get your cat and the plant to the clinic/vet right away.

4. Crocuses

Spring crocuses can cause gastrointestinal upset in your pet, typically vomiting and diarrhea. The crocus that blooms in autumn is known as the Meadow Saffron, this is the plant that is highly poisonous.

If your pet tastes a Meadow Saffron, it can experience severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding,  liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure. Symptoms can appear immediately upon ingestion up to several days later.

Take the pet and the plant immediately to the vet/clinic.

5. Lily of the Valley 

Signs your pet has eaten a Lily of the Valley include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drop in heart rate and/or severe cardiac arrhythmia
  • Seizures

The substance that is in the Lily of the Valley is cardiac glycosides. If you suspect your pet has ingested this plant, again, take them to the vet/clinic immediately.

You must be cautious when fertilizing your gardens. Most fertilizers cause only mild gastrointestinal symptoms if eaten, but there are a few to watch out for. These include:

  • Blood meal
  • Bone meal
  • Rose and plant fertilizers

Taking a few simple precautions to avoid any plants and fertilizers known to be deadly to pets can prevent a potential tragedy for you and your family.

Please research before choosing your plants and fertilizers.